whats happening to Dallas?

the trials and tribulations of a young indian in the citaaaaay

Friday, October 31, 2008

.....Ok so your where?



Man, its such a rush when things are stagnant for a while, then a butterfly in china coughs and the worlds starts spinning sideways.

Its time for an update.  man where to start.  I'm not entirely sure how much to tell you for fear of legal implications....  so I guess I'll just tell you like it is for reallz.

I've been in Yaroslavl for 41 days now playing volleyball in the Russian super league.  Its had its ups and down.  For example, I've not entered a league match for more than a few points.  I played pre season and did well, but once league started, I got the axe.  So I've been trying to find a way to help the team in other ways, if not rightside, then maybe middle or power.  I mean i'm not terrible at either.  So after asking the coach this several times, it looked promising.  Of course my positive attitude was crushed little by little every day, since I did less and less everyday in practise.  it had gotten to the point where I would play a little D for about ten mins a practise.  So after one sevearly frustrating practise, I asked the coach "what can I do to help the team, I'm willing to try anything"; to which he took me aside and explained how dilemma.  apparently he's been frustrated too, and this is why:

Every team in Russia is allowed two players not from Russia.  Usually teams will bring in players in positions they are struggling in.  So last year, the team needed a leftside, and a rightside, so they called up me and fred, and we signed contracts last april before the summer.  Now during the summer one of the players who was playing leftside joined the Russian national team and switched positions over to rightside, and subsequently became one of the best rightsides in the world...... sweeeeet... kinda....   So our team gets together in September and he goes back to playing leftside.  Now things for our team is Yaroslavl did not start so hot.  Everyone was struggling, so the coach made the call to have this player switch back to rightside since he had such success during the summer and low and behold, we won a match.

So this leaves a situation where the team has two Russian rightsides and me.  so that is three rightsides, and because of the position switch, one less leftside.  So basically it is in the best interest of the club to sign a non russian leftside and loose me.  and to be honest, its best for me too, because there no use is me being here not playing, and not training.  Its one thing have a good team to train with during the week, then not see the court, but its a whole other story if your not getting any play time AND not training.

So after a mentally draining month or so here, the president and we came to an agreement about releasing me from the team.  It was actually not as stressful as I had imagined.  The club was apologetic and so was I.  Both parties had good intentions when we signed the contract back in April, but a lot changed over the summer.

So now I'm waiting to be paid, which apparently might take a few weeks.  So instead of sit around my Russian apartment for no reason, I'm bouncing out to Europe to refresh before I find a new club.  this should be an adventure, cuz I have no real plans other than I have to be back in Russia an a week or so.  Might just buy a europass train ticket and see where I end up.  I'm heading to Berlin today,  and after that who knows.  if anyone has a suggestion,  drop it on me.

I should have something interesting to tell you in about a week or so, hopefully I won't get robbed on the train again, and all will be well.  oh snap,  its Halloween.  I wonder if I go trick or treating in Russia, will I get mini bowls of beet soup or just stabbed......

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I was wondering what was going to happen after Max started playing like a pyscho...
Anyway, have fun with the travelling

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home